Wednesday, April 19, 2006

VILLAIN OF THE DAY: DESTRO . . . .updated

Today's "Villain of the Day" is DESTRO, from GIJoe!!

The 1st time I saw Destro I was about 6 years old. I was over my best friend's house playing and on the TV came one of those GIJoe Marvel Comics commercials. Remember those? It'd be a snippet of cool action ending with "Find out what happens in this month's GIJoe comic book from Marvel!" The commercial was for GIJoe #14, Destro's 1st Appearance. But the commercial itself talked about a mysterious figure, an Arms Dealer from afar, brought in by Cobra Commander to help destroy GIJoe. At the time, Destro was just a menacing silouette as he and Cobra Commander prepared to unleash Hell on the Joes. We were sold immediately!!! Soon after (next week??) a longer version of the commercial ran but this time showing Destro himself. Not since Darth Vader had Lil 6yr Old Jimmy seen a villain that cool. The black outfit - the Red collar and red medallion necklace - the small rocket launchers on his wrist - and the freaking awesome silver metal mask/helmet! I was already into GIJoe at the time (it was still VERY young at the time, mainly just green army guys), but once Destro arrived I not only became a die hard GIJoe toy buyer/player, but began picking up the comic as well. GIJoe was a HUGE influence on my life and it all started with Snake Eyes, Cobra Soldier & Commander...but DESTRO sealed the deal.

Click here to read my special snippet about him! OBEY! OR BE DESTROYED!!!!!

Destro's cool.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Now THAT's a geek post!

Jim said...

I think you meant to say "Wow! That kicks ass! I can't wait for the next Villain of the Day! And the next! And the next!....."

Yeah, its official now - THAT is what Lisa said.

Thanks, Lisa!!
I'll keep em coming!!
:)