Tuesday, July 18, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALIENS ! ! ! !

HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY, ALIENS!
July 18th, 1986. ALIENS is released theatrically in the U.S. I am 11 years old and I go see it. It changes my life. I vividly recall walking out of the theater and saying to my parents, "I want to do special fx when I grow up!" I then went to see it another 2 times in the theater, and so began the path which lead me to now, doing just that; FX for a living. It also led to my obsession over all things ALIENS. Seriously, sometimes it's out of control. I've watched ALIENS hundreds of times and even have the entire movie AUDIO on cassette for long drives or even at work. I collect pretty much anything ALIENS related. My love of Star Wars is nothing compared to ALIENS. Those who know me know the extent of this obsession all to well. And so, today marks not only the day the best movie ever made in history was released, but also a day which forever changed my life for the better. So please join me in watching this awesome movie tonight! (or this week if you're busy).
Happy Birthday, ALIENS.
I love you
.

5 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I was 19 when this got released,and I loved it,I remember the bit that got me the most was when the first Alien appears from the wall and grabs Deitrich and then that whole battle begins !! It's still a great movie on every level,I've always been a big fan of the Skotak Bros miniature work since Battle Beyond the Stars were they worked with Jim Cameron.This is one sequel that actually worked on so many levels as a movie in it's owm right !!

Which version you gonna watch though,the cinema cut I assume ??

Rich said...

And I was about 11 when ALIEN was released...

Crazy... it had a similar effect on me too.

... except I thought I wanted to go into video based training, flash animation and sound design... funny how that works...

Anonymous said...

What?!
They made a sequel to Alien?
I'll have to see that someday...
maybe...

Jim said...

Just for that, Dylan, we're watching ALIENS next time I come over!

Andrew Glazebrook said...

We didn't actually get Aliens here in the UK until the 26th of Sept 86,so we were a few months behind you guys !