Thursday, August 17, 2006

BAGLEY LEAVING ULT SPIDEY

Ah, man! MARK BAGLEY is leaving ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN! His last issue will be #110. That blows. Bagley is not only a great artist, but he's one of the very very rare pencillers who can actually do a monthly issue on time - and even does MORE than 12 issues per year, always delivering solid work. (although, his art lately has felt a bit rushed and less defined....)

While I'm not a big supporter of the Ultimate lines of books, Ult Spidey was the exception; great fun reads. Issue 103 is about to come out meaning Mark Bagley (with writer Brian Michael Bendis) are about to break the record for consecutive Marvel issues by a writer/penciler team. That recored has been held for decades by the 102-issue run of Fantastic Four by the legendary Stan Lee & Jack Kirby during the '60s.

Bagley said, “I’ve had an incredible time with Ultimate Spider-Man, but I don’t want to stagnate. Right now, Brian and I are doing some of the best work we’ve ever done on the comic, and I think it’s best for me to leave while we’re on the top of our game.”

The end of an Era doth approaches.
Boo.

No comments: