Monday, December 11, 2006

QUICK MOVIE REVIEW: APOCALYPTO

We saw APOCALYPTO this weekend. Overall, I really enjoyed it and it was probably one of the best movies I've seen this year. However, watching the absolute brutality humans are capable of inflicting on one another was tough at times.... a good 45min stretch felt like watching a mass snuff film at one point. Truly disturbing. There were also some odd camera work choices Mel did that totally pulled me from the film and you could almost hear the record scratch-screech as it ruins the moment. Still can't figure out why hed made those poor camera choices. The last act, while good, had problems and requires the audience to put forth some extra effort of suspension of disbelief. It's not difficult, but necessary. And the very very ending pissed me off to no degree. While I understand why the director did it, it still ruined the movie for me. I think 99.9% of everyone else will have no problem with it, but for me, ugggghhhhh.

While I had those negative issues with it, they were slight. The filmmaking overall kickass and brings you fully into the world the story takes place within. The cast is stellar and I found myself throughout the film just staring at them, watching them do whatever, whether it was a moment of action or complete stillness. I really enjoyed seeing the Mayan cultures "come to life" on screen in a non-discovery channel manner. The blend of "reality" and "myth" was also really neat. And kudos to the costuming folks - you have my vote come Oscars time!!

So, in the end, I loved the movie. But if you're a bit faint-of-heart regarding violence, be prepared - its brutal at times... moreso the inhumaneness than actual "screen violence", if that makes sense. There is gore, but I didn't think it was over-the-top wretching (although there is one scene in the beginning that may make all the guys squiurm & gag). While I had some minor issues, this was one of the better films I saw this year and I hope more films like this are made. Thank you, Mr Gibson.

OVERALL RATING: A-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see and thanks for the warning. I won't even bother trying to watch it with my wife. Anything close to disturbing and she can't sleep...no kidding.