Wednesday, September 17, 2008

NEVER LIKED HUSH - THERE, I'VE SAID IT.

I may stand alone on this, but I thought Jeph Loeb & Jim Lee's Batman story HUSH was garbage. The only thing it had going for it was Lee's art, which floundered throughout the series - although the Batcave pages were rad. I disliked the writing so much, I ditched my individual comics and picked up a GERMAN hardcover copy I came across.... I can now flip through and see the pretty pictures, but not be tempted to read the rubbish within the word balloons. But I digress....

Many fans loved the new villain HUSH. Me, I just don't get it.

First, his whole schtick is lame.... here's a quick bio:

"A childhood friend of Bruce Wayne, Thomas Elliot wanted to kill his parents and cut the brakes in their car causing the death of his father. When Dr. Wayne saved Elliot's mother, he was denied the inheritance he'd hope to receive in the aftermath of their deaths, and was of course hugely jealous of young Bruce for inheriting a fortune when his parents died. Elliot grew to hate Wayne and returned years later as the villain Hush to destroy Batman once and for all."

Ok, so basically he's MACAULAY CULKIN in "The Good Son" all grown up.

Then there's the visuals.... Jim Lee couldn't come up with anything better?? Or original?? Hush looks like DC's the UNKNOWN SOLDIER meets the Doom Patrol's NEGATIVE MAN meets DARK MAN. Then throw in a splash of Jim Lee's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy designs and poof - Lame ass Bat Villain.
ooooh, a trenchcoat!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great bottom image. Hush is lame. I never finished the story, dropping the book around midway point. Jim Lee rocked in the 90s, not so much now. Loeb grunts out scripts while in morning traffic.

Anonymous said...

is that seriously his origin? good grief!

Anonymous said...

Jim, you do not stand alone. I think many (most?) fans agree that Hush is weak. Love the bottom picture showcasing his unoriginality.

naicon said...

I'm not a big DC fan, but bought the TPB because of the hype with Lee coming back as the artist.

I thought the story was pretty weak and boring. Thomas Elliot revenge was quite lame for the story to base on.


Also Lee stole Rick Deckard trenchcoat of Blade Runner!

Anonymous said...

Damn, Jim Lee just got called out!

Anonymous said...

Hush sucks as a character and that story was rubbish. and did Lee copy M.Culkin when drawing? That split you have in the pic looks spot on.

Anonymous said...

Hush is the most overrated batman story in history. many jim lee fans blindly follow and for whatever reasons, jeph loeb is popular? and you are right, Hush is a crappy design void of any original thought.