Wednesday, August 12, 2009

THE WALKING DEAD ON AMC?

Sweet, Variety is reporting that AMC may pick up THE WALKING DEAD as a tv series, directed by Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption) and produced by Gale Ann Hurd (Terminator).
Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said. "This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."
I have been saying (along with countless other fans) it would make a great tv show for year, but had hoped it would land on HBO (with Preacher). But AMC has some great television, 'MAD MEN' being one example. Perhaps this is best... HBO likes to pad its storytelling and 'taudry up' its material at times.

Kirkman's THE WALKING DEAD directed by FRANK DARABONT?
Hell yeah, I'm on board!

I recommend reading the collected graphic novels, too - they are awesome.

5 comments:

Multiple Miggs said...

Oh please oh please oh please tell me that Tony Shaloub will be turned into a zombie.

Unknown said...

Oh sweet zombie jesus....

I told myself over and over I wanted to see (and could totaly see) a good HBO series rendition of this book when I was cramming 5 years of zombie awesome into like a week of reading....I can settle for it not being HBO if they 'do it right'.

Tyrese = da fn man!
Man, I love this series at kind of a scary level....

Unknown said...

As soon as I hit the 'Publish' button I remembered that Tyrese was actually not 100% 'da fn man' (to clarify), and is despicable in his own way at certain points that I will not go into and spoil for every single reader of this blog who has not started reading TWD but is going to begin very very soon.

It's that good!

random said...

Darabont also directed The Mist (not to be confused with wacky "The Fog" evil pirates re-make). Also Green Mile, would have loved to see him on the Tower project instead of JJ, but this is cool news.

Lisa said...

The graphic novel volume 10 came out today! Be sure to pick up a copy at a comic book store near you.

I always thought it would make a great show if done right - my concern is that this could sooooo easily be done completely wrong.