Monday, January 11, 2016

R.I.P. DAVID BOWIE


That sad energy pulse you're feeling in your soul right now is The Music of the Spheres and David Bowie becoming One

I heard the news of Bowie's passing last night and sat stunned for hours. My head was spinning... His life's work and its tremendous impact on my own life flurried through my thoughts. I was left in awe at the innovative gifts he continuously created and their inspiring, lasting influence. He painted the sky with starlight and transcended... well, pretty much everything; art, music, fashion, life. He encapsulated everything we praise in other various creatives. How thankful I am for David Bowie.
  
I really don't know what else to say. If you were a Bowie fan, I'm sure you know what I'd like to say. We're all feeling it. We lost a Legend, an Icon and a Treasure.

Here are a few things I fondly remember of David Bowie:



"SPACE ODDITY"
This song forever linked "David Bowie" with "The Cosmos" for me. As well as....


"LIFE ON MARS?"

His fantastical ability of Reinvention and creating different stage personas....


"THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH"  (1976)


'UNDER PRESSURE' with Queen

Honestly, can you even imagine a better pairing?


THE GOBLIN KING
There's an entire generation out there who first knew Bowie as The Goblin King. I had already known him for much of his previous work (thank you big brother), but 'Labyrinth' expanded the "character" that was David Bowie.


'EARTHLING' (1997)
I loved this album. For a good year, it was my soundtrack in Undergrad, whilst painting, sculpting, drawing, creating.

'BASQUIAT' (1996)
This scene, I recall smiling in the theater and simply thinking, "I love David Bowie"


Playing himself on 'EXTRAS'. Hilarious!


Bowie references on 'VENTURE BROS'


TRIBUTE ON 'FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS'
"Wear the eye patch, Bret."

HIS FINAL GOODBYE

Last Friday, on his birthday, just 2 days before his death, David Bowie released his 25th album "BLACKSTAR".'

Tony Visconti, the producer who worked with Bowie to complete his final album, has released a statement saying it was deliberately created and timed as a "parting gift" for his fans. In a statement on his Facebook page, he said: "He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way... His death was no different from his life - a work of Art... He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift... I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it.... He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us... For now, it is appropriate to cry."

Visconti has previously spoken of creating the album, which was recorded in just three sessions over the course of three months at the beginning of 2015.
It now appears the singer and those closest to him arranged its release at the end of his life, after 18 months of living with cancer.


Amazing! An artist to the very end.

Thank you, David Bowie.

I want to say "Rest in Peace", but I don't imagine Bowie resting in the afterlife. I picture him traveling the Universe and playing a part in the grand Cosmic Opera.


...and lastly, David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing 'Little Drummer Boy'




DAVID BOWIE
1947 - 2016

"The stars look very different today"

No comments: